North Shropshire College (NSC) Hospitality and Catering students recently enjoyed a trip to the Welsh Culinary Championships at Coleg Llandrillo to test their cooking skills, and impress competition judges with their talents. Level 1 and 3 Professional Cookery students from NSC took part in the Championships, alongside many other junior and senior chefs and waiting staff who head to the competition every year.
The students thoroughly impressed the judges with their skills, and came away from the competition with two certificates of merits, 2 bronze medals and 1 silver medal.
Level 3 Professional Cookery student Owen Phoenix Dobson produced two main course dishes for the static salon culinaire style class, where dishes are presented to the judges to analyse the competitors presentation and overall culinary techniques and skills. Owen produced the following two dishes for his class:
- Pork fillet wrapped in black pudding crumb, with fondant potato, cabbage parcel, carrot puree, crispy skin and balsamic reduction.
- Roasted venison loin with game pithivier, butternut puree, apple and red wine jus.
Sharon Cooper, Curriculum Area Manager for Commercial Services comments, “We are delighted with the results achieved by the students at the Championships. It’s a credit to the hard work of the Hospitality and Catering students, and the members of staff that support them, that we have been able to obtain such successes.”
- Jack Allsobrooke – Level 1 Professional Cookery – Certificate of Merit for Vegetable Cuts
- Anthony Moore – Level 1 Professional Cookery – Certificate of Merit for Vegetable Cuts
- Stephanie Garratt – Level 3 Professional Cookery – Bronze Medal for Fruit Cuts and Silver Medal for Cold Mash Potato Piping
- Owen Phoenix Dobson – Level 3 Professional Cookery – Bronze Medal for Static Restaurant Main Course Dish