Equality & Diversity
At North Shropshire College we are committed to ensuring that every student has an equal opportunity to succeed. We make sure that everything we do helps:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010;
- Advance the equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it;
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Single Equality Duty
North Shropshire College will encourage and support students and staff to challenge prejudice, stereotyping and intolerance, and will manage its policies, procedures and environment in ways that will seek to maintain every individual’s dignity and rights.
North Shropshire College, ‘Single Equality Scheme’ sets out how the College will promote equality of opportunity regardless of race, gender, disability, age, faith or sexual orientation, in both the delivery of its services and the employment of its staff.
You can find out more information about our commitment to equality and diversity and how we meet the requirements of the Equality Duty in our Equality & Diversity Report 2016 17.
Gender Pay Gap Report 2017-18
The latest Gender Pay Gap Report for 2017-18 can be found here:
- Recruit and maintain a staff and student population which is reflective of the local and wider community.
- Ensure that the recruitment of learners and staff is based on the principle of inclusivity with reasonable adjustments made where necessary.
- Ensure employers providing Work Based Learning or placement opportunities are aware of their legal responsibilities and are encouraged to actively promote equality and diversity.
- Ensure that all learning and training programmes reflect and promote equality and diversity in content and delivery in a manner that is appropriate.
- To provide learner support services which are inclusive and take proactive steps to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations among all groups of people.
- Ensure staff and learners are protected from discrimination, harassment or bullying and take appropriate and timely action when non-compliance with the policy is identified.
- Seek the views of all those who use the services of the College and respond to their needs.
- Monitor, evaluate, review and publish progress on a regular basis to close the equalities gap and actively promote equality of opportunity across all the protected characteristics.