Travel & Transport
Cycling to College
At both campuses there is a bicycle parking shelter. If you are considering cycling into college please make sure that you are safe to do so with proper helmet and safety items.
To plan your route please visit the following website: www.travelshropshire.co.uk. This will give you access to cycle maps and a mapping tool for across the country. Enter your postcode into the planning journey section and the tool will calculate your journey and provide you with a map.
Bus Routes to College
Our College is committed to providing transport for our students each day from pick-up points near and far.
This year, we are making travel more affordable. More students will be eligible for free travel and for those students purchasing a bus pass.
For 2018/19 the cost is£350, £450 or £550 depending on which ‘zone’ you live in and you will have the option to spread the cost over 9 monthly instalments.
How much will my bus pass cost?
Accessing local education and training can often be a challenge for some of our young people due to the high costs of travel. We have decided to offer subsided travel on all routes for the 18/19 academic year, to enable the young people of North Shropshire to access education and training at their local college. Travel remains free on all routes where students are eligible for a travel bursary. A new zoning system for passes has been introduced as follows:
- Within 4 miles of any NSC campus to be attended - £350 per academic year
- Within 5-15 miles of any NSC campus to be attended - £450 per academic year
- Over 15 miles from any NSC campus to be attended - £550 per academic year
Is there any help with the cost of transport?
Families with a household income of £25,000 or less can apply to the College Bursary Fund for help towards the full cost of travel. For further information contact Student Services on 01691 688029.
If you live in Wales
Powys County Council/Wrexham Borough Council may assist with the cost of the bus pass. Please contact Powys County Council on 01597 826455 or Wrexham Borough Council on 01978 292056 for further information.
Apply for a NSC bus pass:
If you qualify for help towards full cost of travel please complete the Bursary Application Form suitable to your group age.
For all students who do not qualify for free travel please submit the Bus Pass Application Form below to Oswestry/Walford Reception along with a passport photo and initial payment.
North Shropshire College
When you have your NSC Bus Pass:
- You must carry your bus pass with you at all times
- You must show your bus pass to the bus driver when getting on the bus
- The bus driver has the right to refuse you travel if you do not produce your bus pass when asked for.
- Abuse towards the bus driver, member of College staff or students will not be tolerated whilst you are travelling on the bus. Behaviour of this kind will result in your bus pass being revoked with no refund.
- If you are paying termly for your bus, payment of the next termly instalment must be paid for in full before you receive your new pass.
- If you are paying in monthly instalments by standing order, you agree that the monthly amount will be paid on the 1st of each month. Failure to make payment will result in the cancellation of your bus pass and refusal to travel on the bus until such time that any arrears are paid in full.
- You have the right to cancel your standing order at any time. However, this will result in the cancellation of your bus pass and refusal to travel on the bus until such time that any arrears are paid in full.
- If you lose your bus pass you will be charged a £10 replacement fee
Other transport options:
Travel pass from Shropshire Council
For students aged 16 to 18 and have a Shropshire postcode (SY not TF) and TF9, a bus pass can be purchased direct from Shropshire Council. The cost of the pass is currently £875 (and can be paid in three termly instalments. A reduced rate pass is also available for households receiving qualifying benefits. Please contact Shropshire Council on 0345 678 9006 for further information.
Arriva Student Saver Discount
The cost of this travel pass is currently £575. You can purchase an Arriva Student Saver Discount bus pass on line at www.arriva.co.uk or by telephoning 0844 800 4411. You can pay for the pass in three termly instalments or by monthly Direct Debit.
For students age 19 or over
For students aged 19 and over, a travel pass can be purchased direct from NSC. Please call NSC on 01691 688029 or the Estates Team on 01691 688004 for further information.
If you use a service bus to get to college, you can apply for an Arriva Midlands Student Saver Bus Pass. More details can be found on the Arriva Website at www.arrivabus.co.uk or by telephoning 0844 800 441.
If you have any transport queries, please contact the College on 01691 688029.
Whilst every effort is made to supply North Shropshire College transport to as many areas as possible where a good public service already exists you will be expected to make use of this service. This allows the minibus fleet to cover the more rural locations that have little or no public transport.
Bus passes for 16-18 year old students
If you are under 19 years of age on the qualifying date, you can apply to your Local council for a bus pass, the cost of which is subsidised.
Post 16 Transport Assistance
Shropshire Council Development Services
0345 678 9006
Telford & Wrekin – apply directly to the College for your pass via the form above.
Eligibility for council schemes
- be enrolled on a full time course
- a resident of Telford and Wrekin or Shropshire
- over 16, but under 19 years of age before 1 September in the academic year
- attending the nearest designated college for your home address
- have a distance of more than three miles between your home and the college
Bus passes for students who are not eligible for the above council schemes and who are over 19 years of age
If you would like to travel on the College minibuses, and you are not eligible for the above council schemes, you need to ring 01691 688000 to make an application and a payment by card.
Wrexham and Powys Councils may provide financial assistance with the cost of travel.
Please contact Post 16 Transport Assistance
Wrexham County Borough Council
Wrexham, LL13 8BG
Cyngor Sir Powys County Council
Admissions & Transport Team
Communities Skills & Learning
Powys County Hall
Arriva Midlands Student Saver bus pass
If you use a service bus to travel to college you can also purchase an Arriva Midlands Student Saver Card - more details can be found on the Arriva website – www.arrivabus.co.uk or by ringing 0344 800 4411.