Student Finance

**The information below is based on 2018 intake**



Free meals will be available to all eligible students(aged 16-18) studying in Further Education from September 2018. To be eligible for a free meal the student or the students parent/guardian must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • the guarantee element of State  Pension Credit
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit element) and an annual gross income below £16,190 as assessed by HMRC
  • Working Tax Credit run on – paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent od £7,400 pa

Students who meet the criteria for a free meal must apply to the Bursary Fund (for students 16-18) and submit evidence that they or their parent/guardian is in receipt of one or more of the benefits detailed above


The College 16 to 18 Bursary Funds are for English students and made up of two parts:

  • Vulnerable Bursary – a bursary of up to £1200 per college year for students who are in care, a care leaver OR in receipt of Income Support because they are financially supporting themselves OR have a disability and receiving both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance in their own right.
  • Discretionary Bursary – For students who need financial support to help them to stay in education or training may also be able to claim a bursary to help with the cost of transport, meals at college and course related expenses.
  • RESIDENTIAL BURSARY – can assist students with the cost of term-time weekday accommodation at our hall of residence at our Walford Campus.  assistance.  Priority is given to students studying a land based course (e.g. equine or agriculture) and who lived beyone a reasonable daily travelling distance from home to College.  Students who are studying a non-land based course who also live beyond a reasonable daily travelling distance are also welcome to apply.  These applications will be considered on a case by case basis. For further information regarding the Residential Bursary please contact Student Finance on 01691 688029 or the Accommodation and Welfare Manager on 01939 262126. E-mail

16-18 Bursary Form 2018-19


This fund is for students aged 19 and over and studying a Level 1 or 2 course, or aged 19 to 24 and studying their first Level 3 course.  The Fund can assist with the cost of:

  • Childcare costs (if you are not eligible for Care to Learn) with a registered Childminder or Nursery
  • Course-related expenses such as, materials, protective clothing, field trips, exam fees
  • Travel to and from college

19 Bursary Application Form 2018-19


This fund is aimed at helping students who are being funded with an Advanced Learner Loan for course fees. This fund can assist with the cost of:

  • Childcare costs with a registered Childminder or Nursery
  • Course-related expenses such as equipment, materials, protective clothing and field trips
  • Travel to and from college

Advanced Learner Loan Application Form 2018-19


All College Bursary funds (excluding the Vulnerable Bursary) are means tested, so not every application will be successful. Please see the guideline pages of the application for for eligibility criteria. You can download an application form from this page or collected from Student Services and Reception.

We allocate our funds on a first come first served basis so please apply as early as possible to secure your funding. No funding will be given until you start your course and then will only be paid on the basis of satisfactory attendance, progress and behaviour.


These funds are assessed and awarded under the rules of the awarding body.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) Wales
Depending on your household income you may be able to get £60 a fortnight for attending college and all your lessons.  You could get EMA if:

  • You live in Wales
  • You are aged between 16 and 18 on 31/8/18.
  • You meet the residency and nationality rules
  • You attend an eligible course which involves at least 12 hours of guided learning per week

For more information and to download an application form visit or ring 0300 200 4050.

A limited supply of application forms are also available from Student Services. Application forms for 2018/19 are now available on the website to download.

The Welsh Government Leaning Grant Further Education (WGLG)
The WGLG is a payment of up to £1,500 to help with the cost of further education. Payments are made each term and are subject to attendance.  You may be eligible for if:

  • You are aged 19 or over on or before the 1 September 2018
  • You live in Wales
  • Your household income must be £18,370 or less in order to get this grant
  • You meet the residency and nationality rules and you are studying at least 275 hours per year

For more information and to download an application form visit or ring 0300 200 4050.

A limited supply of application forms are also available from Student Services. Application forms for 2018/19 are now available on the website to download.

Advanced Learner Loans (ALL) 2018-19

ALL are now available for learners aged 19 above studying at Level 3 or Level 4 course.

ALL are not means tested or subject to credit checks and any individual who meets the criteria below will be able to apply for a loan irrespective of their current employment status.

If your loan is for an Access to Higher Education programme and you progress and complete higher education study, you will not have to repay your FE Loan.

Advanced loans will give learners access to financial support for tuition costs similar to that which is available in higher education. This means rather than an individual having to pay for their course upfront they have the option of accessing a loan, from the Student Loans Company, that they will only start to repay once they have left the course and are earning over £25,000.

Who is eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan?
Students who are:

  • aged 19 or over at the start of their course;
  • resident in the UK
  • working or unemployed

Which qualifications are eligible for Loan funding?
a number of A levels not greater than three

  • QAA Access to HE cours
  • QCF Level 3 Certificate
  • QCF Level 3 Diploma
  • QCF Level 4 Certificate
  • QCF Level 4 Diploma

For more information CLICK HERE  and Frequently Asked Questions

Advanced Learner Loan help line 0300 100 0619

Care to Learn

Care to Learn is to give financial support to young mothers and fathers who want to continue their education and need help with childcare costs.  You can claim this award if you live in England and are under 20 years of age at the start of your course.  You must use a registered childcare provider.  You may also be able to claim travel expenses to and from your childcare provider.  You are not eligible for Care to Learn if you are completing a salaried apprenticeship.

For more information and an application form please call the Care to Learn helpline number on 0800 121 8989 or visit the website at:

Professional Development Loan

This is a bank loan that can be used to help pay for work related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning.  The Government will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. The loan can be used to pay for course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses.  You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support.  This is a commercial loan product and should only be considered an option once all other student funding options have been investigated.

To find out more information and to request and application pack please call 0800 100 900 or log onto

Charitable trusts

You may also be able to source further funding through local and national charitable trusts and organisations. The following websites may be able to help:

Or call Student Services on 01691 688029 for further information.


If you would like information about what benefits might be entitled to as a student then please visit or call into your local Jobcentre Plus


National Debtline 0800 8084000

Money Saving Ideas

Citizens Advice (CAB)

Advice on Housing & Council Tax Benefits for Shropshire Students

Housing Benefit: 0345 678 9001

Council Tax: 0345 678 9002

General Enquiries – 0345 678 9000

Advice on Housing & Council Tax Benefits for Powys Students

Council Tax – 01597 827 462

Housing Benefit –01597 827 462

General Enquiries – 0845 602 7030 or 01597 827 460

Advice on Housing & Council Tax Benefits for Wrexham Students

Housing Benefit: 01978 292033

Council Tax Benefit: 01978 292031

General Enquiries: 01978 292000

Need any help? Contact us

It all starts here!
Find a course...